Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Soup of the Week - "Cole Slaw" Soup

I got around to taking a picture of my "Soup of the Week" ingredients last Sunday, but never got the blog done - so here it is. The soup is all but gone after daily lunches, and it was one of my better efforts to date. So I'll try to recall what I did to make it - as it's a definite "doagain".

This weeks ingredients were:

1 package Manischewitz Vegetable Soup Mix with mushrooms
2 leeks (white part - well washed and chopped up
medium onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - chopped

cauliflower - chopped - about a cup
broccoli - chopped - about a cup and 1/2
3 stalks celery- chopped
3 carrots - sliced
1 rutabaga - cut into 1/2'' cubes
1/2 bag of cole slaw mix
1/4 cup chopped dill - loosely chopped
Mrs. Dash Seasoning
Freshly ground pepper
Marjoram
2 bay leaves
1 container vegetable broth (only because the soup vegetables outgrew the amount of water I used.)

My starter was a package of "Manischewitz" Vegetable Soup mix which contains some dried peas, lima beans and barley along with some noodles and seasonings.

Directions:

1. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and add the packaged peas and bean mixture. Reserve the seasoning package to the end of the cooking time. (These need at least 2 hours to simmer.)

2. Add the chopped onions and the following seasonings to the soup pot: Mrs Dash, dill, freshly ground pepper, marjoram .

3. Saute the vegetables in a large skillet. When the soup has simmered for about an hour, add the vegetables and continue cooking. (Here's where the vegetables I prepared outgrew the amount of water I used, so I added a container of vegetable stock. I wish I had saved the packaging of the one I used, as it was excellent. It was in a light green box, purchased at Superstore, and had the words "Tastes like homemade" on the package. It was much lower in salt than most of the other vegetable stocks I have bought, so I will definitely buy this one again.

4. Toward the end of the cooking time, add the seasoning and noodle flavour package from the soup mix.

The Verdict - It was robust, nicely seasoned and tasty. Even DH (Mr. I don't like soup) ate it, and it got a great review from a friend who had lunch with us one day.

I ended up with about 16 cups of soup, so that figured to less than 1 WeightWatcher point per cup, so I counted it as 1 point anyway. It was a great filling food!

I'm not sure why, but a hot soup at lunch seems to fill and hold me so much better than a salad.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a must try recipe. Congrats on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete