Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Lucky Find



I'm a sucker for books, and finding this one in Safeway of all places was a stroke of luck. I've always considered my knowledge of the various varieties of fruits, vegetables and herbs to be limited, so this book is just the thing I need to expand my horizons. What particularly captured my interest was the section on different ethnic specialties.
Several years ago, my DH and I spent a couple weeks in China. We lived in an apartment instead of a hotel, and I was shopping for and cooking vegetables I didn't recognize. I loved the adventure of shopping in a Chinese supermarket. I felt like I was in a bubble - floating around, surrounded by a cacophony of sounds I didn't understand, packaging I couldn't read and a multitude of foods of which I had no knowledge. If I had this book with me at that time, I would have felt a little less alien!
This book, titled Dr. Richter's Fresh Produce Guide was published by Try-Foods International. ISBN is 0-9703139-0-x if it is of interest. It has a 2003 copyright.
What I like about it are the clear, vibrant pictures and details. For each variety it holds nutritional information, general info, selection and storage tips, and most important, preparation and cooking tips.
Since I am following the Weightwatchers program, I am getting a little bored with the same vegetables again and again. And veggies are a HUGE part of what I eat, so I'm counting on this book to help me "veg" in new directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment