Saturday, December 12, 2009

Banana Blueberry Blog


As usual, I had a couple bananas rapidly turning black on the counter. I refused to add them to the ever-growing black banana collection in my freezer, so muffins seemed like a good idea.

I used one of my new Diabetes Cookbooks: Complete Canadian Diabetes Cookbook, edited by Katherine E. Younker, and once again made what I thought were weightwatcher and diabetes friendlier substitutions. I lowered the fat by using applesauce and only 1 tbsp. oil, and subbed Splenda for the sugar.
This is my version of
Blueberry Banana Muffins
2 bananas, pureed
1/2 cup Splenda
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tbsp veg. oil
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup yogurt (I used a 100 g. fruit yogurt)
1/2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Combine pureed banana, Splenda, applesauce, veg.oil, egg and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Add the dry ingredients into the bowl, followed by the yogurt. Stir in well, and add the blueberries.
3. Drop batter into muffin cups that have been sprayed with Pam, or lined with paper liners. This recipe makes 12 med. sized muffins.
4. Bake at 375 for approximately 20 minutes - until tops are firm to the touch.
By my calculation of the combined ingredients points values, each muffin works out to 1-1/2 points on my Weightwatcher program.
The verdict - Pretty good for a low (almost no) fat muffin. They are certainly sweet enough.
A good low point snack!

2 comments:

  1. I have some frozen blueberries -- I should try this one. Does Splenda go bad? I've had my box of it for a couple of years now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it goes bad. I finally used up stuff I had for several years and only recently bought a new bag at Costco.

    ReplyDelete