Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lazy Lasagna (aka Bowtie Lasagna)

In an effort to eat vegetarian more often, I often try to create entrees with Yves Veggie Ground Round®.
http://yvesveggie.ca/index.php

Anywhere ground beef is normally used in a recipe, this product can easily be substituted.

There is a Mexican Ground Round (quite spicy). I freeze it in 1/3 cup allotments and use it on salad to add some kick and a little protein, and add  2 WW points to the salad. There is also an Asian Ground Round which I have not yet tried.

The original Veggie Ground Round® can be used in spaghetti sauces, lasagna, shepherd's pie and stroganoff. I've tried it in all these ways and can vouch for it.
Jewish dietary laws forbid the mixing of meat and milk together in a meal, so a traditional ground beef based lasagne made with cheeses would be a no-no in my kitchen. This product is a way to use a vegetarian substitute - get the same texture and taste - and still conform to kosher rules. Not to mention a healthier alternative!

What vegetables I use depends on what I have in my fridge or cupboard on any given day. If I have fresh mushrooms - I use them. If I don't, I'll throw in a can. Sometimes it's canned diced tomato, sometimes crushed. This summer I'm going to harvest my extra tomatoes and freeze them so I can use a healthier alternative than the salty canned product. (Mind you, there are low salt products available. I just don't happen to have any right now!)




So, without further ado, here is my Lazy Lasagna.

 Ingredients

4 cups cooked bowtie noodles (rotini noodles work well also)
1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped (or green,red,or orange or equivalent combination)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 lg. onion, chopped
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1 cup cooked chopped spinach (with all moisture squeezed out)
1 pkg, Yves Veggie Ground Round®
1- 14 oz. (398 ml) can crushed tomatoes
1 - 14 oz.(398 ml) can tomato sauce
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup cottage cheese ( dry curd has the lowest salt content)
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 cup (3.25 oz.) shredded low fat mozzarella cheese


1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bowtie noodles according to the package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water to avoid sticking, and set aside.


2. Spray a large non-stick pan with vegetable spray and saute onion, garlic and peppers until softened. Then add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms soften.





3. Add the Veggie Ground Round, spinach, tomato sauce, crushed tomato and seasonings.

4. Stir in the cottage cheese and yogurt.



5. Pour the entire mixture into a 9 or 10 cup casserole dish or lasagne pan and top with the shredded cheese.

6. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until cheese has melted and juices are bubbling around the edges.



7. Allow it to stand for 15 minutes or so before cutting it into wedges.

This recipe fills a 9 cup casserole dish and serves 8. Each serving is approximately 6 WW points. Served with a green salad, it makes a very filling meal.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good! What casserole dish is that? I don't recognize it. Did you see I posted the crustless quiche? I'm going to make a vegetarian version tonight for Baba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The casserole dish was a wedding gift from Clarice. It hides in the china cabinet most of the time.

    I did see your post on the Crustless Quiche -and the reference to my blog. Thanks!

    Your meaty one must have turned out well for you since you are making another version for your Baba! I'm sure she'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would the use of spelt or whole wheat pasta make a difference in the point count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regular pasta is 4 points per cup of cooked, whole wheat is 3 points. I am not familiar with spelt so I can't say. I'll have to research it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does not look lazy to me. It does look good. I would make it without the meat though. I love cheesy dishes.

    Thanks for posting at My Meatless Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did it. I just made this although, it is a variation. I printed up the recipe, photos and all and when I went to look at it, only the ingredients came out, clearly.


    From there on, I did what I remembered and made a few changes, taking my clue from you, about whatever you have. It is baking now so I can't tell you what we think. I will get back to you.

    I am going to post this in Comfy Cook. It usually gets my gluten free pasta recipes.

    Thanks for dinner.

    ReplyDelete