Monday, January 4, 2010

Easy Salmon Patties with Dill & Cucumber Sauce

I often forget to take something out of the freezer to thaw in time for dinner, and today I did it again. But I did have canned salmon in the cupboard, and a few weeks ago I made some salmon patties (sans the Dill-Cucumber Sauce) that we both liked a lot, so I thought I'd make them again.

I based my salmon patties on a recipe from a cookbook called The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic© by Mary Abbott Hess, and in my usual fashion made a few substitutions/ alterations.

Salmon Patties with Cucumber Dill Sauce - my version

 .
Salmon Patties
1 lg. can (426 g) or 2 small (213g) cans of red or pink salmon
1 cup dry oatmeal
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup liquid egg whites or 2 beaten eggs
3 green onions, finely sliced
1 tbsp. fresh dill
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

Cucumber Dill Sauce
1/2 cup plain low fat or fat free yogurt or sour cream
1/3 peeled English cucumber - diced
1/2 small tomato, diced
2 green onions, chopped finely
1 tsp dried dill weed

Drain salmon and mash well. Add the oatmeal, milk, egg, green onion, dill and pepper.(You may wish to add salt, but I figure the salmon is salty enough and am trying to avoid additional salt.) Mix well and form into 6 round patties.
Fry the patties in a non-stick pan that has been sprayed with vegetable spray and have added 1 tbsp. veg.oil. Cook over medium heat 4-5 minutes per side until nicely browned.

To make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Serve on or with the salmon patties.

Each pattie with a couple tablespoons of sauce works out to approx. 3 WeightWatcher points.

I don't know if I would make the sauce again to use with the salmon patties, but I would like to try it on a baked potato. I think it would make a nicer pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment