Monday, November 30, 2009

Motivated by Cottage Cheese


What to make for dinner? I had 1/2 a container of 1% cottage cheese that I wanted to use, so I've been searching for recipes that incorporate cottage cheese into a diabetic and weightwatcher friendly entree.
Not finding quite what I wanted, I decided to improvise and made the following dish.

Rotini with Creamy Mushroom and Tomato Sauce

1 tbsp. Olive oil
1/2 c. Chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 28oz can President's Choice Blue Menu "No Salt Added" tomatoes
(plus reserved liquid)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
Freshly ground pepper
2/3 c. 1 % cottage cheese
1/3 c. skim milk
4 cups cooked rotini - (Catelli Smart High Fibre)

Cook pasta separately, drain and set aside.

Saute onion, garlic and mushroom until soft.
Add tomato and liquid and cook together for 5 min.
In a blender, blend cottage cheese and milk together until smooth and creamy.
Add it to the simmering tomato liquid.
Add the pasta to the liquid and heat thoroughly.

Sprinkle with parmesan when serving.

The verdict: I liked it and would make it again.

I am counting 1 cup as 6 Weightwatcher points.

It's pretty low salt and low cholesterol, so should serve as a healthy diabetic friendly meal. Let's see what my DH thinks of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment