Sunday, November 29, 2009

Soup of the Week

I believe that one of the secrets of my successful weight loss to date (besides journaling every morsel that goes into my mouth) are my "soups of the week." Today's is based on a vegetable soup mix from "Manischewitz" which can be found in the kosher section of the grocery store. I selected this one over the others because the salt content was so much less than the other varieties.
I started with the soup mix in 8 cups of boiling water, added a bay leaf, large chopped onion, garlic and some additional herbs and spices: thyme, dill, marjoram, Mrs. Dash, pepper (no salt because we have to limit DH's salt intake). After about 3/4 hour of the soup simmering, I added the following vegetables: 1 cup chopped carrots, a stalk of chopped celery,a cup of chopped cauliflower, a chopped parsnip, a bit of chopped broccoli stems, and about a cup of chopped cabbage. There's a little package of seasoning that is added in the last 10 minutes or so of cooking. Soup is done in about 2 hours. I got about 12 cups of very thick soup. If I divide it into 1-1/2 cup servings, I get 8 servings - and I will count it as 1.5 points per serving. I'll try freezing some of it to see how it holds up.

The verdict: Tastes good but needs salt. This I can add when I'm going to eat it.
Hopefully I can get DH to eat it too. He's not a soup lover, but this soup is high fiber, low salt and low calorie - just what his doctor ordered, so maybe I can convince him.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy - I often make a 1 (about) soup by sauteeing onions, garlic & celery on a low light for about 10 minutes, add chopped carrots, a chopped sweet potato, chopped bok choy or spinach, a couple of chopped tomatoes (Or not), chopped zuccini - stir fry for few minutes, add low sodium chicken or veg stock - let it simmer for a minimum of one hour and then puree as much as you want

    ReplyDelete